Thursday, June 25, 2009

Runaway Beer Truck Gets Pulled Over

by: Mike Parker

Everyone's favorite mohawked Seahawk, Owen Schmitt, was pulled over and arrested Saturday in Black Diamond, WA, for suspicion of drunk driving.

Schmitt blew BAC levels of .151 and .161, according to Washington State Patrol records. The legal limit in this state is .08, so the name "Runaway Beer Truck" is unfortunately all too applicable for this situation. As one commenter in Danny O'Neil's story put it, "he was Schmitt-faced." Pretty much.

On the plus side, there was no accident, nobody was hurt, and Schmitt seems genuinely remorseful of his actions. The team released a statement from him today: "I sincerely apologize to the team, the NFL, the fans and my family and friends for my actions and my poor judgment," Schmitt said.

"I fully understand the seriousness of this matter, and I am disappointed in myself. I am committed to earning back the trust of everyone affected."
I just hope the rest of the team can stay off the police blotter through the summer and report to camp on time.

Schmitt's arraignment is scheduled for July 8. If Schmitt's legal problems accumulate, this means more reps for Justin Griffith, which might not be such a bad thing anyway. However, I'd still like to see Schmitt contribute.


END