Thursday, October 2, 2008

My Thoughts on Rocky Bernard

by: Michael Steffes

There was an interesting little piece of information that came to light today regarding Rocky Bernard. According to sources, he had his salary reduced by a little over a million dollars before the season began. He was given $400K of this back in a roster bonus, with the opportunity to earn more via incentives.

My guess is that he was put in a tough spot by the organization. Actually, that isn't fair, since Rocky put himself in a tough spot with his off the field incident. Regardless, I have a hard time believing the two things aren't related. I would like to hear more about what went down, but the scenario that seems the most likely is that the team was going to cut ties with Rocky unless he took a pay cut. This is one of the things I like least about the NFL, and it seems to happen often.

Rocky would have found himself a free agent, coming off a down year and a fresh surgery, with a recent arrest in his back pocket. He wasn't nearly as likely to get offers that represent what he is worth. Now, with incentives to motivate him, he is banking on a big contract year, which is what the Seahawks are looking for as well. In the meantime they most likely don't plan to bring him back with Red Bryant and possibly an '09 draft pick waiting in the wings.

I am normally not highly critical of the business dealings of the Hawks, but Tim Ruskell has flirted with some questionable decision making in the name of money (see Jerheme Urban). If they reduced Rocky's salary because they were displeased with him, then they should have released him. Is it decision-making based on principals, or finances? If they needed him this year and then wanted to cut ties, then pay the man the money on the contract he signed. He earns his money on the field.

Now, I don't have any inside info here. If Rocky did this because he felt bad, then my tune would change. But I find it hard to believe the news would come out like this if that was the case. It would seem that this bizarre story has more to it, and if it is something along the lines I have described then I am bit disappointed.

If anybody knows more, or has a different theory, please share. I hope I am wrong. ~END~