Monday, April 6, 2009

Q & A: Patrick Chung

by: Mike Parker

With all the pre-draft hype that's been saturating blogs and websites in recent months, some names have been dropped so many times that it's almost tiring to discuss them now.

One of those names, however, is not Patrick Chung's.

Doug Farrar of Scout.com recently sat down for an interview with Chung, the Jamaican-born prodigy and Oregon safety, and it's one of the most interesting write-ups on a player that I've seen lately.

From a Hawk fan's perspective, Chung has everything the team needs in a safety: solid instincts, incredible tackling skills, and plenty of untapped potential. Having first attended college at age 16, Chung is now 20. He says being "the young one" doesn't bother him a bit. In fact, he didn't really even think about it until people started making noise about it.

"Since I was from Jamaica, it didn’t seem different to me," Chung said of his early graduation. "It wasn’t until people started telling me I was younger than everyone, so it was just not that big of a deal for me. I thought it was completely normal. I don’t worry about age too much."
By the end of his tenure with Oregon, Chung had started 51 games -- a pretty impressive number for an aspiring NFL hopeful. He's no doubt on other teams' radars by now and should definitely be off the board at the end of the second round of the draft, but the Hawks' front office seems fairly locked on him.

And after watching this video, I've decided Chung to be nothing less than a force of nature:



That's gonna leave a mark. -END-