Friday, August 8, 2008

Will Owen Schmitt make the cut?


by: Chris Sullivan

It seems I'm one of only a few people out there who are asking this question right now, which usually means I'm dead wrong to be asking it. That said, it got some great comments yesterday, so I thought I'd open it up this morning as our daily blog coverage could be hit or miss today (both Gonzo and I are pretty busy at our respective places of employ).

I think the chance of Owen Schmitt being relegated to the practice squad is actually quite low, but I raise the question because it seems like everyone is assuming he's already made the cut -- he hasn't. It is tough to make any NFL team in your first year, especially once you get down past Round 4 in the draft. We knew Tyler Schmitt and Coutu would be available in the 6th and 7th, so of the most readily cutable draftees (ignoring the Mare v. Coutu competition) would have been Owen and Forsett. It seems now that they are battling it out for that spot.

Some have even anointed him the starter by year's end, but everything I've read thus far has suggested that Weaver has made great strides on both blocking and running, and barring an injury, I don't see why Schmitt would start any games this year if Weaver can keep up what he was doing towards the end of the year.

But really... look at that mug. Who wouldn't want O-Hawk staring down a blitzing linebacker as he accelerates towards him, facemask first... bwaha! It's friggin FOOTBALL SEASON! ~END~