Friday, May 9, 2008

On the Right Track

by: Michael Steffes

Ok, finally, here are some power rankings I can get behind. USA Today has released their initial pre-season power rankings. This is easily the most appropriate Seahawks ranking yet.

They have the Hawks ranked 7th overall. The Hawks are 3rd highest ranked NFC team behind the Giants and Cowboys.

In my opinion the Giants are going to be the most mis-ranked team. They did win the Superbowl, so I guess it is fair in a way. However, they have to prove to me that they are going to be a consistent team, and not just a team that got hot at the right time. Also, two other factors that are being ignored are Strahan's possible retirement and what that does to their pass rush, and the tough division they play in. Both could factor heavily into a return to mediocrity for the G-Men.

At least USA Today seems to take into account the Hawks desire to win one for coach, which will hopefully keep the team motivated through the tough stretches of the season. #7 seems fair to me, for now, but I expect the Hawks to finish out much higher, if not on top. END