Sunday, May 25, 2008

Top 5 NFC Linebackers

by: Michael Steffes

According to the Sporting News....

1. DeMarcus Ware
2. Julian Peterson
3. Lofa Tatupu
4. Greg Ellis
5. Brian Urlacher

Maybe some of you won't agree with me, but I don't think that Peterson should be second on this list. Don't get me wrong, he is a damn fine linebacker, but it is rare that I see him make a spectacular play. He just seems to be very well rounded to me, with the possible exception of occasionally missing his gap assignment and helping to facilitate a long run. He covers much better than most linebackers and he is incredibly versatile, but I am not sure he is the second best linebacker in the NFC. I think I would rank him 4th, behind Tatupu and Urlacher. Ellis would slip of my list, all he does is rush the passer. I would consider players like Patrick Willis, AJ Hawk, and even Karlos Dansby better overall linebackers. END