Monday, July 14, 2008

Bobby Not Bitter; Promises to Report

by: Michael Steffes

"I'll be ready to go," he said. "I'm going to be me. I'm going to be ready to work hard, because I don't hold any bitterness. I'm not going to be upset about something that didn't happen. Everybody has to handle his business individually, but I realize nobody is bigger than the team."
This quote comes from Steve Kelley at the Seattle Times. Kelley was granted the first extensive interview with Bobby since he missed the optional workouts over the summer. Here is the article.

Kelley goes on to generalize the Seahawks business dealings with veterans. He compares Bobby to Robbie Tobeck and Mack Strong. Two players who at the end of their careers were given reasonable deals because their was little interest in their services.

I understand what Kelley is saying. It would be nice if the Hawks could pay everybody exactly what they are worth to the team, but that just isn't feasible. There is a hard salary cap. Because of this, the team has to allocate funds based on market value. They accept that sometimes market value dictates that you overpay, and sometimes it dictates a player is possibly underpaid. Regardless the goal is to build the best group of 53 possible. If that means that older guys, who by the way are higher risks for injury an ineffectiveness, get less than maybe they should, well that is just the way it has to be. Its the NFL. ~END~