Friday, September 5, 2008

Constant Problems

by: Michael Steffes

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot to write about this morning, and I am holding off on doing a written preview of the game until I provide the audio one we recorded last night. But there is one topic that we discussed that I think is fair to open up to the Addcits for good discussion.

Is this the year that the Seahawks figure out the east coast?

My feelings are that there has been so much focus this offseason on improving road defense and becoming a good road team that it has to improve. However, I will remain skeptical until I see it. It is true that the Hawks are a .500 team on the road over the last few year, but that is not what I am talking about. Folks, to be honest, I don't know if my heart can take it. No longer will I be accepting of sneaking out of St. Louis with a win after being totally ruled in the first half by a bunch of backups. Or going sackless against an undrafted rookie center in his second game in Arizona, and needing a second half surge to put us in a position to win. I want the Seahawks to stop playing down to their opponents on the road. Beat the teams your supposed to beat, the way you are supposed to beat them. Will this be the year that changes?

Also, part of this mentioned is the road defense. Last year it seemed to be a first half problem. Something about halftime, probably Holmgren lighting them up like Christmas tree, provided decent second half play. But from the beginning, in road games, will the defense dominate? Especially the bad offenses, the second string QBs, etc?

So will this be the big change in the Seahawks this year? or do we get more of the same? ~END~