Sunday, June 8, 2008

Engram Holding Out is a "Possibility"

by: Michael Steffes

Bobby Engram may or may not be in training camp. Despite Mike Holmgren saying that Bobby would "absoultely" be in camp. Despite many players saying that Bobby will be around when the workouts aren't voluntary. Despite the belief that this goes against everything we assume we know about Bobby. Bobby is thinking holdout.

According to this article by Scott Johnson of the Everett Herald, Bobby Engram will not commit to showing up to mandatory work for the Seahawks. He called missing training camp "a possibility." Saying...

"I'm at peace with this decision, and it's not coming from a place of ego or pride. I'm just trying to get something done that will be fair. It's a business decision on both sides, and I understand where they're coming from. But I have to do what I think is best for me in my career."
This is by no means a threat, but talk like this worries me. This is not posturing. It almost sounds as if he has already made the decision to me. Saying that missing camp is a possibility is his last card to play in a hand where the Seahawks hold all the aces. They don't seem inclined to fold. Click here to

The thing that baffles me about these situations, which I will never understand, is that by taking this route you create an adversarial situation with the club. I criticize Tim Ruskell when he waits until the week before free agency before locking up good young players because that is the same effect. I understand Bobbby needs security late in his career, but playing this game only accelerates the development of the four young guns, almost ensuring a big money deal wont be offered after this season. Oh well. This is a business, even if it doesn't always mesh with a fans perspective.