Saturday, June 14, 2008

Ranking Running Backs

by: Michael Steffes

I am jumping in a car and heading for Torrey Pines folks, but before I do I thought I would pass along this. In a now regular segment digesting The Sporting News' positional rankings, I present to you...Running Backs.

Unfortunately the TSN does not think very highly of Tim Ruskell's running back makeover. They have the Seahawks ranked 14th of 16. Ouch! Here is what they say.

They made a lot of changes, but it's hard to say they'll be better. Julius Jones hits the hole hard but averaged 3.6 yards for Dallas in '07. T.J. Duckett has good size.
Not a ringing endorsement for sure. However I will argue back that running back may be the least predictable position on offense. Ryan Grant? Came from nowhere last year. Adrian Peterson... people new he was going to be good, but not THAT good. The entire Giants backfield last year was a mix and match scenario, and they turned out OK. I am trying not to get too high or too low about the Seahawks running game until I see it in action. Running the ball is a mentality, not the product of having one player who looks good gettin' off the bus. END