Monday, March 2, 2009

Weaver to Pay Saints a Visit

by: Mike Parker

According to Danny O'Neil, Leonard Weaver is heading to New Orleans today to give the Saints a free agent visit.

I would hate to see Weaver go, but as our friend Danny observes, there might not be much room for a traditional fullback in Seattle's new offensive system. The guy has tons of upside, and showed he's got something special this season when he put up 116 yards receiving and two touchdowns in San Francisco against the 49ers.

New systems aside, it's not every day that you see numbers like that from a fullback. If given time, Weaver could probably find a good role in Greg Knapp's offense, but the team might not put much stock in keeping him on the roster, especially after drafting Owen Schmitt last year. I wouldn't be too surprised to see the one-two backfield punch of Jones and Duckett, plus Schmitt thrown in on special instances.

I hope Weaver's visit isn't fruitful, but I'm not holding my breath. -END-